This is a "voluntary action" taken by the Chinese government "based on our own national conditions" and "is a major contribution to the global effort in tackling climate change," the State Council said.
In a meeting presided over by Premier Wen Jiabao Wednesday, the State Council reviewed a national task plan addressing climate change.
A press statement released Thursday said the index of carbon dioxide emissions cuts, announced for the first time by China, would be "a binding goal" to be incorporated into China's medium and long-term national social and economic development plans.
New measures would be formulated to audit, monitor and assess its implementation, said the statement."
So now after US, Chinese have followed the line and next in the line is great "sone ki chiriya"...ha....ha...ha..."India"...Look at the irony of Indians...we still have 300 million (UK+France+Germany) under poverty line but still we are under huge pressure as we are "developed in carbon emissions". Next few days are not easy for Indian top brass, who were not at all prepared for yet another Chinese shock (well we are never prepared for it since 1962). After huge targets set by chinese, nobody will be astonished to see Manmohan Singh govt. under huge pressure to take some affirmative action regarding the issue. The announcement came after indian delegation have left american main land for trinidad. This may be yet another chinese diplomacy to deprive India of any chance to have direct negotiations with the american top brass. Next time they meet, they will be at copenhagen. 26/11 proved fatal again.
Do you know - some facts about climate:
- · One car produces 3.5 times its weight in carbon dioxide every year!! Imagine how that affects climate change!
- · Ontarians (people of Ontario, Canada) produce around 10 billion tonnes of garbage each year. That is enough to fill the Skydome twice the height of the CN Tower!
- · If we reduce junk mail by 25%, we can save 1.2 million trees! Talk to your parents about getting off mailing lists.
- · Some facts that are NOT so cool: The 10 warmest years in history have all happened in the last 15 years! The 1980’s and 1990’s were the warmest decades ever recorded! The 20th century is the warmest globally in the last 600 years!
- · The global sea level has risen on average 1.5 cm each decade over the last 100 years! Scientists believe that it could rise by as much as 95cm – nearly a whole metre – by 2100. Imagine if your house was on the beach!!!
- · A well-tuned car emits up to 10% less carbon dioxide than a poorly tuned car. A well-tuned piano emits even less!
- · Worldwide, a car is being built every second.
- · The highest temperature ever recorded (in the shade) is 58 degrees celsius. This was in the Sahara desert.
- · Who says we need to use gas! The fastest speed ever recorded in a steam-powered car was 234.44 km/hr! Talk about steaming! The fastest electric car traveled at 245.523km/hr!
- · A mature oak tree can pump up to 4000 cups of water from its roots to its branches in one day. That’s approximately 2000 cans of pop worth of water!
- · The oldest living thing is a 10,500 year-old Huon Pine tree.
- · Because water continually cycles through the environment, you could be drinking water that was once inside a tyrannosaurus rex!
- · One car’s used oil dumped down the drain can ruin a year’s supply of water for 50 people... or a day's supply of water for 18,250 people!
- · Water covers 80% of the earth, but only 1% is drinkable.
- · Light is made up of many colours – you can see some of them in a rainbow! The gases in the atmosphere absorb some colours and scatter others. The reason why our sky looks blue is because the atmosphere absorbs most colours and scatters the colour blue.
- · A faucet drip or invisible toilet leak – totaling only two teaspoons per minute – uses up around 57 litres per day.
- · This same small leak ends up wasting 20,630 litres per year!!!